Wednesday, May 7, 2008

New Bow

The Cello that I presently have, I am renting and I had to obtain a new bow because I found out I had been placing my bow in my Cello case in the wrong direction which cause the velcro that kept the bow in its' place to catch on to the hairs. This went on for a while before I became aware of the cause. Now, little old naive me thought that I would just go get another bow and it would be alright. Wrong! The music store replaced the bow but, it does not feel the same. The bow feels lighter and it skips or bounce. I did rosin the bow several times (a number of times) and it is better but it still skips every now and then. I never had that with the other bow. So I am going to a Violin shop in the Indianapolis area when I visit my daughter or to the Chicago area when I visit my sister to find an inexpensive but good bow. My price range is $60--$100 maybe. I dont want to spend a lot on the bow. I am still a newbie mind you. Anyone have any good suggestions on a good inexpensive bow?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just in the last few days I’ve come across two blogs about bow shopping; http://starkravingcello.blogspot.com/and http://www.adaptistration.com/artsaddict/2008/05/in-search-of-th.html

In my blog I also talked about my bow shopping experience. I’m 50+ and have just reached my 3rd year of learning to play the cello. I'm beyond the rental stage but it helps to have some information to get started.

Anonymous said...

Oops! And I meant to wish you luck on bow shopping and with your cello adventure!!

cellodonna said...

Here's the link to my "bow shopping" blog entry from a year ago.
http://cellodonna.blogspot.com/2007/02/bow-shopping.html

Good luck. It's a fun thing to do.